Saturday, March 6, 2010

Day 5 of No dining out March

Yesterday was Day 5 of No Dining Out March. I think we have established that everyday I spend on average $8.50 for breakfast and lunch. I did not eat out for either yesterday. For breakfast I had oatmeal(pantry) and for lunch I had leftovers.

Supper- I usually spend over $25 on Friday nights. This is what I had at home instead. Stuffed Bell Peppers from allrecipes. Here is how I saved money.

Ingredients-
4 stuffed bell peppers- $0.50 each- $2.00
1lb ground beef- always buy when it's a good sale. We get free meat from my parents but you can always check out a local slaughter house to get great meat cheaper then store!
1 can tomato sauce, divided,$0.88(I'm sure there are better deals)
1/4 cup uncooked instant rice , Minute rice has alot of $0.50 coupons. It doubles at Kroger's to get free rice
3 tablespoons shredded Cheddar cheese, divided -Always buy when it's on sale. Kraft always seem to have the $1/2 coupons.
1 tablespoon chopped onion-(freezer)
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce -(pantry)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 egg, beaten



Directions
Cut tops off peppers and discard; remove seeds. Blanch peppers in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside. In a bowl, combine beef, 1/4 cup of tomato sauce, rice, 2 tablespoons of cheese, onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and egg; mix well. Stuff the peppers; place in an ungreased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Pour the remaining tomato sauce over peppers. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 45-60 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and peppers are tender. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; return to the oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.


Total cost for this meal was only $2.88 for a family of 4!

Total savings for today was $33.50. That's a 5 day savings of $85.42!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment