Monday, December 14, 2009

Meal Deal Monday-Panera Bread's Broccoli and Cheese Soup

If you are new to my blog be sure to check out my other Meal Deal Mondays. Just click on the link below that says meal deal monday to see all my others! This meal for a family of 4 only cost me $2.81!!!! And I had plenty of leftovers!!1 It is so yummy too!

(((((((((((((((Sorry no picture!!!!))))))))))))))))

Panera Bread's Broccoli Cheddar Soup -from CDkitchen.com (Also from Babycenter, Cooking for Your Family)

Ingredients
-tablespoon butter, melted, less than $0.05, Wal-mart has I Can't Believe It's not Butter on rollback for $1.62 use $1 coupon from insert or HERE to make it only $0.62 for 4 sticks!!

-1/2 medium onion, chopped, less than $0.25

-1/4 cup melted butter, less than $0.25, see above butter

-1/4 cup flour, $0.50, hmm it's been awhile since I bought flour or seen coupons so this is just a guess-lol

-2 cups half-and-half, $0.75 (I use milk), Coleman is on sale at my local Harvest Foods for $2.00 and I used the insert coupon to make it $1.50

-2 cups chicken stock or bouillon . $0.30, (I use broth), Swanson broth is on rollback for $0.40 and used the coupon from insert to make them $0.30 each.(has 2 cups)

-1/2 lb. fresh broccoli, $0.38(I used frozen) Birds Eye is on rollback for $0.88. Used $.50 coupon from insert to make it only $0.38

-1 cup carrots, julienned, $0.28

salt and pepper to taste , less than $0.05

- 8 ozs. grated sharp cheddar, $1.10. Kraft cheese is $1.60 at Wal-Mart. Used the $1/2 coupon from insert to get them for $1.10 each!

Directions-

Sauté onion in butter. Set aside. Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and slowly add the milk. Add the chicken broth whisking all the time. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat until the veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper. The soup should be thickened by now. Pour in batches into blender and puree. Return to pot over low heat and add the grated cheese; stir until well blended.

No comments:

Post a Comment